Running Man nebula with c9.25

Location:  San Bruno, CA – 11/14/2010

C9.25 with Focal Reducer on NJP-Z Mount

Combination of 7 exposures of 7 minutes

Camera:  Qhy9 at 2×2 binning with astronomik CLS CCD filter

This is my first long exposure with my new Takahashi NJP-Z mount.  I am planning to do long focal / high resolution astrophotography with it and I am still in the learning curve.

The set up I have with my C9.25 and guidescope is far from optimal – and I am working on improving the overall rigidity – since I realized I am not limited by the mount (which has an excellent tracking) but rather by tube flexture (guidescope).

The mount was controlled from a Toshiba Netbook.

Processing:  Maxim DL, Photoshop CS4, Sharpener Pro 3.0, Noise Ninja

1. #1 by Nick Rose on December 24, 2010 - 12:29 pm

Great, closeup picture of the Running Man. It’s great to see another Bay Area Astrophotographer. I live the next city over to you, in Millbrae. I just got started doing astrophotography with my dads old Celestron SP-C6 on a Vixen Super Polaris mount with my 300D Rebel.

2. #2 by jmeriaux on December 24, 2010 - 3:25 pm

Thanks Nick! Taking pictures in San Bruno / Millbrae is definitely challenging given the light pollution but with some patience good results can be obtained. Canon Digital rebel DSLRs are really great for astrophotography. Also if you do not already use it, I would recommend also using a bahtinov mask to get precise focus with your DSLR (it’s cheap to buy or you can do one yourself), and using an Astronomik CLS CCD filter to reduce the effect of light pollution for deep sky imaging…

3. #3 by Nick Rose on December 24, 2010 - 9:16 pm

I’m actually going to put in an order for 2 filters. The first is the Astronomik UHC and the second is the CLS. I herd good reviews and have seen great photos using the UHC, but its only for Nebula. Do you go on any astronomy forums. I’m on Astronomyforum.net, stargazerslounge.com, and cloudynights.com

4. #4 by jmeriaux on December 25, 2010 - 11:15 am

Astronomik has excellent products – I have many of them and was never disappointed. The UHC is normally for visual use, and the CLS CCD for photography (whether it is a DSLR or a CCD). Regarding Forum, I look at Cloudynights regularly but does not participate much in Forums myself, may be I should!

5. #5 by Nick Rose on December 27, 2010 - 2:06 pm

It doesn’t hurt to sign up for one of the forums, you have to use it. But it does help when you have questions. I was just wondering using the CLS filter how long can you get the subs before the histogram gets close to the middle? I know each subject would be different especially with M42 since it has a bright core.

Here are the links to two of my threads dealing with some pictures of mine:

6. #6 by jmeriaux on December 27, 2010 - 2:24 pm

The CLS CCD Filter will help you reduce the light pollution background noise. Based on my experience where I was able to get 2-3 min. subs without filter – I am able to take 6-8min subs. but if it’s on M42 core it is probably too much…